Unicorns are all the craze these days. There’s the standard unicorn crafts, with a horn and flowing mane of wonder. Then, there’s unicorn poop. And that’s where the real fun begins. With many crafts and recipes both formed into a brightly colored swirl like it was made with magic. Magic, indeed, are these quick and easy Unicorn Swirl Cupcakes.
This Unicorn Swirl Cupcakes recipe starts with a regular box of funfetti cake mix. Oh yes, because you don’t need to go all fancy to make what’s supposed to be unicorn poop. And that’s the last time I’ll say poop, I swear.
Then, add food dye colors of choice into the cupcake mixture, swirling about with a toothpick. Place the cupcakes in a 375 degree preheated oven and bake until the tops are set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. At which point, you can get started on the frosting. And that’s where the true magic of these Unicorn Swirl Cupcakes happens.
It’s a simple frosting recipe of butter, sugar, vanilla, and cream. Once combined, separate the mixture into 3 bowls, and pour a different color of dye into each. Fit your piping bag with a #12 round tip and spoon the frosting in a tablespoon at a time, pushing the frosting to different sides, so you can see all 3 colors at once. Swirl your frosting onto the cupcakes and flatten if desired.
There is a lot of dye in these cupcakes, but it’s not an everyday food. Perfect for parties, get togethers, birthday celebrations, or just a great special treat to bake together with the kids! Everyone is sure to love these Unicorn Swirl Cupcakes! They really are magic.
- 1 box funfetti cake mix
- PLUS ingredients called for on box
- Food dyes of choice
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare the cupcake batter according to package directions.
- Portion into cupcake liners and add drops of the food dye directly onto each cupcake. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors in.
- (You can alternatively dye ¼ cup of cake batter and swirl approximately 1 teaspoon into each cupcake and repeat with at least one additional color.)
- Bake until the tops are set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the cream until you reach your desired consistency.
- Portion out into 3 bowls. Dye each bowl a different color using the food dye.
- Fit your piping bag with a #12 round tip and spoon the frosting in 1 Tablespoon at a time, pushing the frosting to different sides, so you can see all 3 at once - like a Venn diagram.
- *Alternatively, you can use a tri-color applicator tip.
- Twist the bag to secure and swirl your frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Take an offset spatula and flatten the frosting. Swirl a bit, as needed.
If you like this post, please share it! And be sure to check out more of our kid food recipes at Our Kid Things!